Friday, July 18, 2008

Lessons Learned (Part III)

I have also learned that you can usually make do with what you have. When I first arrived in Kazakhstan, I threw away anything that I didn't need (which some would argue maybe I shouldn't have had in the first place). I got so aggravated with my Kazakh family because they would keep all sorts of trash (rusty metal, small pieces of piping, splintered wood) and I couldn't see how these things would ever be used again. What is funny is that I find myself doing the same thing now. I have a bunch of random house repair type things that I have had to go to when the item I bought was missing a piece or something didn't quite fit the spot I was wanting to put it in. It requires a little creativity, but often you can find something lying around your house or your friends house that will do the trick.

Now, this doesn't mean that I still don't prefer to have the right tool for the job, but I have gotten a lot better at figuring out a solution with what I do have instead of buying something just in case I might need it later. I have kept some of my upbringing by actually having extra screws, nails, and light bulbs in the house, instead of only buying the number I need for specific job.


The picture above says it all .... although one of the first purchases I made at my apartment was a nice step ladder, so I guess I haven't learned this lesson fully. As with all the lessons I have learned here, I think balance is the key!

No comments: