Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Lessons Learned (Part I)

One thing that I have learned from being in Kazakhstan is a new sense of the importance of relationships. Although relationships have always been important to me, the Kazakh people have taught me that relationships should come before "tasks". If I meet a Kazakh friend on the street, I am expected to stop and ask how things are going, ask about family, and visit for a little while. It doesn't matter if I have a meeting that I am late for or some other "task" to accomplish, I should take the time to visit. Those things can all wait, friendship is the most important thing.

When going over to someone's house for dinner, I am expected to stay for at least three hours, even on a weekday. It is very unusual to get away before 10 pm. First you sit and have your meal while talking and catching up. After dinner there is a short period for cleaning dishes - once again done while visiting. Then comes tea. It is unusual for a person to have less than 3 cups of tea while sitting and visiting some more.

At first, the adjustment of time being less of a priority than relationships was a little difficult. Sometimes I felt so unproductive. I have come to realize that it is just a different kind of productivity, which in the end is so much more important than the "tasks" I am supposed to accomplish for the day. I love having permission from the culture here to focus my time on building my friendships and not work.

No comments: