Thursday, May 8, 2008

A Visit to the Local Hospital

What do throwing up blood, heartburn, and having a long tube with a light on the end have in common? Well, I found out today. On Sunday I was sick to my stomach and ended up throwing up a little bit of blood. After doing a little research, I was concerned that I might have an ulcer. An American doctor friend in Shymkent suggested I have an endoscopy done, since the bacteria that is the main cause of ulcers is prevalent here.

Well, this morning I went to the local hospital. I had never been to this hospital for treatment, so this was a new experience. Thankfully, we have a friend that is the head of the endocrinology department and knows everyone at the hospital. We met her at about 9:15 and then she walked us over to the department where they do endoscopies. For those of you that don't know what an endoscopy is, it is a procedure where they take a long hose-like thing with a light on the end and stick it down your throat all the way into your intestines while you try to suppress your natural gag reflex. Their hose-like thing was about 1/2 and inch in diameter. Well, this was definitely a new experience for me. Being the biology major that I am, I really enjoyed seeing the tool they were using and even convinced them to let me take pictures. I think they thought I was a little weird, but they let me do what I wanted.

Well, all that to say my esophagus, stomach, and intestines were red and bumpy when they should have been pink and soft. I do not have a full fledged ulcer, but I have the beginnings of several. After sharing my results with my doctor friend, we decided I should go ahead and treat myself for ulcers since there was definite irritation visible. I have to take 4 different type of medicines for the next several weeks.

Many of you know that I have had trouble sleeping and have had to try to follow a special diet as a result. One of the medications that I will be taking is an antibiotic, which usually creates more problems with my sleep. So, in order to get rid of one thing I have to potentially let my sleep suffer a bit.

I hope you enjoyed my story of my visit to the doctor. Although I haven't been feeling perfect, I am doing well. This has caused me to rest a little and pay attention to how I feel.


No comments: