Sunday, June 13, 2010

Graduate School

Once I catch you all up on life here, I won't be posting every day.  :)  I will try to post at least every other week though.  I'll also work on sharing some entertaining stories from life in Muncie.  I do start SERVE on Monday, so I probably won't be updating next week.

Earlier this week I wrote that I will be starting graduate school.  I will actually be starting classes on the 21st of June for a Master's in Special Ed.  I am really excited about this.  I have wanted to gain more experience in this area ever since my student teaching, but it has never seemed like the right time.  Some of you may remember that three summer ago I helped with a camp for children with Cerebral Palsy.  Since then, my heart has continued to break for these children that are often shunned by society.  Before I left Kazakhstan, some of the mothers shared their desires for their children to receive quality education.  My mind continues to go back to that request.  During the spring I did some research about graduate degrees at Ball State and found one that will fit my desire to work with children like these in the future.  I have no idea what God has for my future, but I sense that the next step is getting a degree that would equip me to work with these children in the future.

I am both looking forward to and a bit anxious about my first class.  I'm not sure I am really ready to start studying again, but I guess I will have to.  Hopefully, I can remember how to read a textbook.  The entire degree is online, which allows for a lot of flexibility in my schedule.  I will take one course this summer and then determine the work load I will be able to maintain in the fall.  I can't wait to see where this all leads.

No comments: