Friday, August 31, 2012

Looking to the Future

On Wednesday I had the chance to attend the graduation ceremony at Saramoldaeva orphanage.  The children recently returned from camp and school begins on September 1st.  We sat with the director, a man from child protection services, and the children and staff of the orphanage to celebrate this special day.  Before everything started one of the boys in our sponsored groups came and said hello to me.  Although he looked familiar, I couldn't quite place him.  Later, when they announced his name,  I realized exactly who he was.  He had grown up so much since 2009, when I visited the orphanage regularly.  He was one of the boys, in a Russian speaking group, who always took the time to try to speak to me in Kazakh.  Below is a picture from the other day as well as a picture from 2008.  He has a beautiful voice and was given the chance to sing at graduation.



During the ceremony the director reminded the graduates that their futures are in their hands.  She gave them examples of graduates who have become very successful, including one who has recently purchased a cattle ranch near Almaty.  She also reminded them of some graduates who have not made great choices.   I was given a chance to speak and echoed her words, but also reminded them that there are many people who love them and are here to help them.  I reminded them not to be afraid to ask for help.   I also asked them to come by our office and let us know how they are doing.  I hope they do this as it always brings me great joy to know how our kids are doing out in the real world.


No comments: