Monday, August 13, 2012

Buying a Dog

It is very important to have a guard dog here in Kazakhstan.  Some just want the dog to be fierce (they chain these up during the day and then let them loose in the yard at night).  These usually tend to be large dogs.  Others what a "doorbell" to let them know when someone is at the gate.  These tend to be dogs that I usually refer to drop-kickable dogs (the ones that are the size of a soccer ball and like to bark a lot).

In September, the team house needs a new dog.  Since it is best to buy a puppy and by September we want the dog to be able to bark and be comfortable caring for the property, we decided this is the time to buy one.  It will give the puppy a chance to get used to a new house and learn how to guard the house from Mika.  Since Jim and Liz's departure has been delayed a bit, I had the fun of picking out a dog for them.  I thought you might enjoy hearing about my adventure.  

Earlier in the week, we had gone to the bazaar to find out where dogs are sold.  We were told they were sold near the chickens, but only on Sunday mornings from 9-12.  So, on Sunday I went back to the chicken selling location.  At first, I thought someone had told me wrong because all I saw were a bunch of cars (where I had been told dogs would be).  However, I started to hear barking and realized I must be nearby.  Then, I noticed that all the cars had their trunks open.  Everyone was selling the puppies that were being stored in their trunks.  There were about 50 to 100 dogs waiting to be sold.  

It was at that point when I realized I was not at all prepared to buy a dog.  First, I had no idea what kind of dog was staring at me.  Second, I realized that most of the sellers spoke Russian, not Kazakh.  Third, I realized I was one of very few females in the entire area.  I guess mostly men buy and sell dogs.  I made a first pass at all the dogs, just looking and not speaking to anyone.  I tried a second pass, but all it did was add to my sense of being overwhelmed.  I did ask a few people prices and realized all the dogs were pretty reasonably priced.  The third time down the row I saw a woman encouraging (by dragging a bit with a leash) a puppy down the row.  She looked out of place and a little concerned about being there.  I couldn't quite figure out what she was doing.  

After a while, I ended up in a conversation with the woman.  We spent the next 10 minutes talking.  She kept telling me why her puppy was great and I kept agreeing with her and asking about buying it.  She would respond that she didn't want to sell it, but wanted to find it a good home.  I kept wondering, how do I convince her that I am a good home.  My connections with the director at Sarmoldaeva Orphanage helped convince her, as she puts on a yearly competition at the orphanage and knew of the work that we do.  So, I walked away from the bazaar carrying a very scared black puppy who I paid 50 tenge for.  Some money need to exchange hands for it to be an official sale and that was the smallest coin I had with me.  

Now Vella is getting used to being at the team house.  Mika is adjusting to having a puppy around as well.  Hopefully, Vella will be good company for Mika and Mika will teach Vella how to be a great team house dog.  So far everything seems to be going well!  



Support Update:  I still need additional monthly team members totaling $500 

No comments: