Thursday, August 16, 2012

Fun with Friends

A couple weeks ago I had the chance to get out of the city and have some fun with friends.  On Friday, the entire office and their families went to a river for a picnic.  We had a great time eating shashlik, swimming, and spending time together.  It was a nice time to get to know the spouses and children of my co-workers.  We enjoyed the day together as we celebrated a successful delegation season!  Also, I had fun riding too and from the picnic with Assel.  We talked about ways in which we could improve my Kazakh and her English.  We have started implementing some of those things this week and I think Assel is going to be hard task master, which is great!

A few days later I got to go on a camping trip with some youth.  It was fun to hang out with them and teach them how to roast a marshmallow without burning it.  I got to sleep out under the stars. We also had a great time swimming and playing nine square in the air.  The only challenge for me was that most of the youth were Russian speaking (whereas I speak Kazakh).  However, we figured out ways to communicate enough to even trash talk a bit while playing nine square.  Although I was exhausted at the end of the time, it was so good to get out of the city and enjoy some time in nature.  Here are some pictures from my time!






No comments: