Saturday, August 23, 2008

A Thousand Thanks

I could easily share stories of the ways that each of the eleven children touched my life, but I figured it would be better for me to limit it to a few.  As I wrap up my thoughts related to the CP camp, I want to share one last memory. 

The morning we left camp, the mothers and their children gathered in a group and started to thank us for our time and our love.  One thing that stood out to me was one mother that said that as a result of the time spent with us she realized that she did not have to be ashamed of her daughter and felt she could now start taking her into public.  Each one pronounced blessing on us and thanked us for the love that we gave to their children and the break that we gave them.  Another highlight was when my young friend that enjoys laughing said “thank you very much” in English and then proceeded to repeat this phrase louder and louder above the sound of the next mother that tried to speak. 

As I look back on our time, I hope that each mother was encouraged.  I hope that they know that they are not alone in caring for their children.  I hope each child is able to look back on this time with special memories of “summer camp”.  I also hope that those mothers that have been ashamed of their children, will learn to cherish and enjoy them for who they are.  I hope that I will not forget their stories and will remember them as I go through my daily responsibilities and have a chance to spend time with them once again in the future. 

No comments: