Friday, August 1, 2008

Be Flexible

BE FLEXIBLE!  This is a phrase that we often share with our delegates and long-term team members before they come to Kazakhstan.  This week has been one of those weeks that bring new meaning to the phrase. 

We are currently preparing for a group of four people coming from the States.  Their original plan was to do a camp for children of Ulan Orphanage.  In the last week, we have had to adjust this plan several times.  It looks like we finally have a plan for them - which is good since they will be arriving on Monday.  I will be leaving tomorrow morning to pick them up from Almaty.  We will be updating the Interlink blog related to this delegation. 

On Tuesday I took my passport to the Ovir's office to get my visa renewed.  Each day, we were asked to call later or call back the next day as they processed my visa.  It was set to expire today and so we were considering options for me to leave the country today if necessary.  I received a call at 4:05 saying that if I wasn't at the Ovir in 5 minutes, I would not receive my visa today (I needed it so that I could travel to pick up the delegation tomorrow). Thankfully, when I arrived everything was set and I now have a visa that will cover me until I return to the States. 

Jason, the intern that was supposed to arrive today was affected by the Lufthansa strike.  He ended up getting re-routed through Turkey and after a delayed flight got stuck at a hotel near the airport.  Hopefully, he will arrive tomorrow morning. 

This week has been a good reminder of the need for flexibility.  It has been fun to see everything come together (despite it being at the last minute). 

No comments: