Friday, April 4, 2008

What a Week!

I am at home this afternoon resting after having a delegation here this last week. They were such an encouragement. Sometimes, I look around and wonder if what I am doing makes a difference in the lives of these children. Having a group here and watching them be able to interact with kids and youth here because of the work we have done, helps remind me of how special my job is. Every day brings new joy, despite the busyness and challenges (Thanks Ember for taking this picture of me with some girls at Ulan).



While the delegation was here, we had the opportunity to spend some time with several different groups of kids (going bowling, going to the park, doing a photo scavenger hunt). It was such a joy to watch the delegation interact with children of all ages in many different activities. I loved to see the smiles that were brought to the kids faces as they spent time with the delegates. You can read more about our time with them as well as watch a short video from their time here on the Interlink blog.

One of the highlights for me was watching the interaction between one of the delegates and her sponsored child. When she arrived, he didn't know that she was his sponsor (because he recently came to the orphanage). He and his brother came to the orphanage about six months ago after some difficult circumstances. He has always been fairly distant. She introduced herself as we stood in the parking lot waiting to go bowling. He didn't know what to do. Many of these kids just don't know how to express emotion. It is especially difficult for them to know what to do when someone expresses love to them. As I was choosing groups for bowling, he indicated with his eyes that he wanted to be in Marion's (his sponsor's) group. I don't know if I have ever seen him show particular interest in another person. They spent and afternoon together talking and getting ice cream. The next day, they had to say goodbye. After some initial awkwardness, he took her hand and walked with her the entire way to the car. He didn't want to let go. Seeing this from a boy that is usually causing trouble and distant meant so much to me. It reminded me of the importance of our child sponsorship program. For many of these kids, their sponsor is the only one who believes in them and loves them.



Another highlight for me was taking the Saramoldaeva youngest children to the park. We had 18 children and about 15 adults. We divided into three groups. I had the opportunity to roam from group to group instead of staying with just one group. We have done this with the kids before, but never on such a big scale. As I came upon the different groups, I had kids running up to me and telling me all about what they had done. They spotted me coming and started running, dragging whoever was holding their hand behind. I was also encouraged to see that they listened to my instructions (stay with your American, listen to the adults, come here, sit down, etc). It was encouraging for me to see that I could call the name of a child and pass on instructions and have them followed. Even just a year ago, if I tried to give instructions to a child they would often not listen. It is fun to have the relationship with them that they want to do what I ask and realize that I am serious.

It was a special week in which I got to spend a lot of time with the kids that we work with. I am encouraged and energized after the time with this delegation and am looking forward to the delegations coming throughout the year. Thank you to all of you that make it possible for me to do this job each day! I couldn't ask for a better job!

No comments: