Wednesday, April 30, 2008

A Two Day Weekend






Last weekend, I actually had two full days off! Usually we (the youth department) end up working on Sundays because in Kazakhstan it is the only day that children don't have school. This makes it the best day to celebrate birthdays and do other activities with the children. We end up taking other time off during the week to make up for our busy Sundays.

Well, as I mentioned previously, we didn't have plans last Sunday. As a result, I was a little more adventurous on Saturday. Usually my Saturday consists of sleeping in (which I still did), reading a book, playing on my computer, taking a bath, and basically accomplishing nothing all day (which I think is the way everyone should spend one day every week).

After sleeping in on Saturday (which is mandatory any day I don't have to be at work), Beth and I went to the bazaar. We picked up some food and some home repair items. Fresh produce (lettuce, mushrooms, green onions) are plentiful again! On Sunday we spent some time putting up netting in our windows to protect us from the bugs this summer. I also bought the supplies to build a screen door for myself for the door on the balcony in my room. We'll see how that turns out. After returning from the bazaar, I put up some fixtures in our bathroom, while Beth prepared some of the food we bought at the bazaar. We are slowly getting our apartment put together the way we want.

In the afternoon, Beth and I took an adoptive couple on a drive through some local villages. We had the chance to experience all sorts of things on our drive. We saw the beauty of the mountains, the remains of a charred bus, cows crossing a stream, lambs crossing the street, the cows returning home, and we even got to pet a camel. It was a beautiful afternoon and a relaxing way to spend the first day of my two day weekend!

No comments: