Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Reading Opens Doors

I am currently taking my last class towards my Master's Degree in Special Education through Ball State University. Although I will miss learning, I will not miss the added work of taking classes on top of my already busy schedule. A major part of my current class has dealt with literacy. As a result, I have had to complete assignments in which I assessed a child's literacy and then created and implemented a plan for intervention.  

It's amazing to me how excited I can get over the correct identification of a letter. When I first began working with Nurdaulet, about three weeks ago, he could not identify letters. We spent one week working on the letter A and another on the letter T. He continues to surprise me in his ability to complete tasks and learn new things.  Earlier this week he was able to spell horse (AT) and grandfather (ATA).  
I have especially enjoyed getting to know Tursinai, Nurdaulet's mother. She is determined to see her son have a bright future.  She supplements his tutor's teaching with additional repetition at home. They have placed pictures and words throughout the house to give Nurdaulet the opportunity to "ask" for what he desires. She asked for homework so that they would have something to work on at home to supplement what we learn when he comes to the office. Her love for her son shines through.
 Nurdaulet's Alphabet Book
 Nurdaulet's first A (written without help)
Nurdaulet's family and friends (we were invited over to lunch)

Below are just a few of the things I have learned from Nurdaulet and his family:
  • Never give up
  • Keep working at something and eventually it will make sense
  • Laughter doesn't need any translation
  • So much of a child's ability to accomplish the seemingly impossible is based on encouragement from family and friends
  • No matter our circumstances, we can choose to enjoy life and find pleasure in the world around us

No comments: