Wednesday, April 20, 2011

A Week Since My Departure

I left the States a week ago today.  It has been great being back in Taraz and seeing friends.  I had a chance to spend some quality time with my Kazakh family over the weekend, which was very special.  In some ways, it feels like I never left.  I thought I'd share some random things from all areas of life that have taken place this week as I've been getting settled.  


  • I used an ancient push mower (the kind with a rotating blade powered by pushing the mower) to mow the lawn, which consisted of some grass and shin-high weeds.  One part was covered in duct tape, which made me laugh. However, it certainly beat the previous method of burning the yard (minus the fun of a fire), since it left some grass behind to enjoy.  
  • I watched out my window (from my desk at work) as my Kazakh father replaced the radiator in my car and was periodically called out to help hold something.   
  • I went to a lunch remembering the one-year anniversary of the death of the wife of one of our security guards with the rest of the staff at the office.  
  • I watched as my Kazakh family enjoyed playing the EA Active 2 game I brought for them to use on their wii.  The strength band was a bit too strong for the kids, but they enjoyed it anyway.    
  • I have had the fun surprise of seeing several graduates from the orphanages around town and catching up with them.  
  • I was finally able to sleep in until 7am - beating my previous nights of 5:30 and 6:30.  For those of you that know me, you know that morning is not my favorite time.  I also went to bed at 9pm last night, which is unheard of.  So, I got almost 11 hours of sleep.  
  • The cracked front screen on the cell phone that I use here was replaced for $7.  
  • I am starting to learn where the new potholes are in the city as I drive around town.  
  • I am enjoying Korean salad again.  
  • My grandmother passed away.  The memorial service is today.  Although there are times when I feel sadness, I am mostly filled with joy knowing that she is much happier now.  
  • I've been playing Rummikub with the staff at lunch time.  
  • I purchased an adapter in order to set up the wii that is at the house. 
  • I had a two hour conversation with my new housemate sharing about life.  This was definitely a bit of a challenge for my Kazakh (especially while jet-lagging and after two years of speaking English) but it was really good.   


Thank you all for your encouragement and support.  I am looking forward to getting down to making plans for the delegations later this week.  That will likely include some visits to the orphanages, which I am excited about!  


No comments: