Monday, March 3, 2008

Two Dogs and Fishing Line

Today we arrived at the beach. We had a nice time of swimming, reading, and just relaxing on the beach all afternoon. I even got to eat mango - my favorite fruit from my time growing up in Kenya. I even went for a swim in the pool. After dinner tonight (which was a great sweet and sour shrimp meal that the waiter recommended) I decided to just go for a walk by myself on the beach. I have two funny stories from that time.

First, I almost got eaten by two dogs. I must have crossed into their territory at some point. Both dogs came after me. I made sure I didn't turn my back on them (causing them to want to play a game of chase the running away person), but started walking the opposite direction. One dog gave up after not too long, but the second dog was not going to have his beach walked on by me. I clapped my hands to try to scare him away when he got closer, but instead of helping it caused him to start growling and come nearer. At this point I backtracked into the water. He stayed at the edge of the water and followed me barking for at least 100 yards. I guess I finally crossed out of his jurisdiction and he decided to leave me alone. I could then return to the lapping of water instead of shin deep in the water and wondering if I would need to go for a swim.

Second, I cam upon a man fishing. He didn't seemed concerned with me, so I kept walking. After I had passed his spot, I got a fishing line right across my neck from his last pole that was resting in the sand. After the dog experience, I jumped a little, but quickly realized what it was, untangled myself, and continued on my walk.

It was a wonderfully, relaxing walk. It was so nice to just have some time to myself where I could just walk along the beach and be amazed by God's creation. What a wonderful God!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey Sara apke! i hope you are having a good time in Thailand! i wish i could be there with you guys!
Natalie

Unknown said...

I wish you could be here too! It would be a lot of fun. We are going to go jet skiing tomorrow for the second time!!! See you this summer!