Friday, October 26, 2007

I have HEAT!!!

Yeah for HEAT!!! Yesterday, as I was doing some remodeling in my apartment, I felt a warmth coming from my radiator. I was shocked and thrilled at the same time! I touched the radiator just to make sure I wasn't imagining it. In Taraz heating for apartments is city-wide. At a certain point in October, they turn on heating for the entire ctiy. Water is heated in a couple central locations and then pumped, through large above ground pipes, throughout the entire city. The water is pumped through each radiator of each apartment before returning back to the central heating facility. The only way to individually regulate heat in an apartment is by opening and closing windows. What an adventure!

3 comments:

matt said...

ha ha. well, at least you have heat, i suppose. The window thing doesn't seem like the most energy efficient thing in the world, but hey, I guess you could be dealing with worse problems! :)
we just turned on our heat and put in the storm windows and all that. how many times in my lifetime will i repeat this same yearly cycle? depressing to think about at times, and yet, changing seasons make life a little more interesting.

matt said...

oh--and I'm glad you're doing this blog. for some reason, this seems like an easier way to stay updated on you than the mass email thing. Not sure why, but for me it works! :)

Unknown said...

I'm glad the blog things works better for you. It is more fun for me too because I get to include pictures and other things as well. Hopefully people will catch on. Thankfully, my heat works so well that I don't have to seal my windows in the winter - I even have to sleep with my windo open in order for it not to get too hot. I'm glad I live close to the central heating place. :)