Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Good Thing I'm a Pyro

I have found that almost every oven/stove in Kazakhstan has a trick to making it work.  We mostly cook with gas, but only the newer models self-light.  As a result, we have to get a bit creative as our ovens age.  Here's the process I go through to light my stove.  
 1.  Light match
 2. Lift metal part separating oven from the flame
 3.  Set match down on the pipe that provides gas
 4.  Turn oven on
 5.  Adjust temperature (by approximate feel of the flame)
 6.  Cook some yummy food
 Thanks to the suggestion from my friend in Shymkent, this 6 step process no only takes one step and I don't have stick my hand close to the burner.  It may not be as fun, but probably a bit safer.  I'm sure it will make my mother happy.  
It's amazing the difference one small tool can make!

No comments: