Sunday, November 10, 2013

It's been a month

I just realized how long it has been since I last blogged.  It's been a bit of a crazy, but great month.  Below are some of the highlights.

  • We had a small delegation in town for 1 1/2 weeks.  They were a great encouragement and the schedule included some really interesting activities.  We laughed a lot, which I always enjoy.  
  • During their time here we were able to have a round table discussion where we invited the caregivers of children with disabilities to our office.  They came into the room wearing the weight of the world on their shoulders.  As our group listened to them, that weight seemed to decrease.  We were able to give each one a quilt that was hand-made by some women in Muncie and share that they were made with love.  This not only touched them, but touched me as well.  I don't know how many quilts I have given out over the years, but these meant the most to me. 
  • During the delegation time there was a car training that took place with graduated orphans.  This car training happened to be mostly females.  It was fun to see them excited about learning how to repair cars.  I had the chance to watch one day and learn a bit as well.  I could probably change my own oil now if I really wanted to.  The spark plugs in the car I drive were also changed, which was great!
  • One of the delegates and I took a quick trip to Shymkent to see her sponsored child.  It was fun to spend time with with both of them as well as see friends in Shymkent.  
  • English club has been going really well.  We have been working in listing the problems we see in Taraz and now we are going to begin working on how we can go about volunteering in our community to meet those needs.  It should be fun to see the kinds of ideas they come up with.   
  • I will be visiting with several people this coming week who have requested things from us (orthopedic shoes, walkers, wheelchairs, etc).  I am setting up times to go into their homes and visit with them to get to know them better and understand the needs to a greater degree.   It will likely be a pretty busy week, but I am looking forward to this.  
Next time I'll try to share some funny stories since this update was more of one to catch you up on what has been a crazy month.  Have a wonderful week!

No comments: