Saturday, October 2, 2010

Back in the US

I am back in the States now and trying to get settled back into life here.  My stomach has been a little upset, but other than that I have adjusted well so far.  My last week and a half in Kaz were pretty hectic, but a lot of fun as well.  The trip continues to confirm to me that one day I will be returning to live in Kazakhstan.  The main question now is "When will that be?"

I had the chance to visit all of the orphanages that I worked in.  It was fun to see the children and staff.  I especially enjoyed a trip to Savva where I got to see my boss, Barb, meet her sponsored child for the first time.  It was also a lot of fun to spend a couple hours playing and talking with the children that live at the House of Hope in Vanofka.  The current Interlink staff are doing a great job working with the kids at the orphanages.  It was fun to see them continue building relationships.

One of the things I enjoyed most during my last week was having the opportunity to see Kazakhstan through the eyes of three people that had never been before.  It is always fun to observe the things that I now take for granted, through new eyes (horse meat, cows walking down the middle of the road, sewers being cleaned out in the middle of the sidewalk, the pleasure of a good cup of coffee, the bazaar, the wonderful hospitality, etc).

I am looking forward to the day that I will be able to return "home" to Kazakhstan to live.  Until then, I plan to continue enjoying every minute that I am given here in Muncie.

No comments: