Saturday, December 19, 2009

Work and Fun

This week has been one of subbing in the mornings and helping out with a Christmas store at Blood N Fire in the afternoons.  It has been a fun week!

Subbing in the mornings was pretty easy.  I was responsible for helping one or two children read every half hour.  My only challenges were finding the children and staying awake while they read to me.  :) 

I had one subbing job at the high school in the afternoon.  I primarily had one group of students for two hours straight towards the end of finals week.  They definitely didn't want to study (which is what they were supposed to do).  I had students switching names on me and all those fun "tricks" that students do to subs.  One of these students was the one that the teacher told me was a responsible student that I could ask for help if needed.  haha!  It was a rough afternoon and I was glad it was only two hours. 

My other afternoons were great!  I got to help people pick out gifts for their children at a Christmas Store.  Blood N Fire set up a Christmas store where low-income families can come and buy gifts for their children for $2.50 per gift.  The entire store was set up extremely well.  I was really impressed with all of the organization that went into it.  The proceeds from the store goes towards sponsoring soccer leagues in Liberia.  I think one of the things I liked the most about this was that those purchasing gifts had the chance to give back with their purchases. 

I had a blast and am looking forward to a Christmas banquet today at Blood N Fire.  It has also been a fun week with times to hang out with my small group and others.  On Monday I will be heading up to Ohio to spend Christmas with my parents. 

I sent out my Christmas letters last week, so if you have not received one and would like to, I probably just don't have your current address.  If you send it to me I would be happy to get you a letter.  :) 

No comments: