Monday, November 17, 2008

Hazards of Living in Kazakhstan!

Last week, I finally experienced the hazards of living here, although you could argue that this could happen no matter the country.  On Thursday of last week, I was bit by both a child and a cat. 

We were visiting our small kids group (children not yet in school) at one of the orphanages.  This group has several children who have different levels of emtional disabilities.  I had not been there for about a month, due to the delegation schedules and my being sick.  We were greeted in our normal way.  One of the boys hears the outer door open, runs to the inner door, screams loudly "The Americans", and usually runs around in circles around us while we remove our shoes.  After this, we enter the living area to be greeted by many hugs and lots of excitement.  This usually is followed by the caregivers instructing the kids not to scream.  :) 

Well, last week I got down on my knees and was giving out hugs.  My little friend, that greeted us all so warmly, came over to me and didn't quite know how to express himself.  As I gave him a hug, I felt a pain in my ear and realized that I had just been bit.  I think he was glad to see me after my long absence.  :)  The last time I had been gone for a month or so, he came up (while my hands were full) and grabbed and pinched both of my cheeks and wouldn't let go.  Until I was bit, I didn't realize how long it had been since I had been with their group.  I quickly put a stop to the biting and then went on with greeting all the kids and starting our activity -which consisted of fun with playdough. 

I had to laugh later in the evening when the cat decided to bite me too.  She thought it would cause me to give her food more quickly - boy was she wrong.  What a day! 

No comments: